Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken and Gambit

From: Sunnan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken and Gambit
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:29:02 +0100

(I'm going through my sent-box to see stuff where I forgot "reply-to-all". This mail probably isn't of general interest, but I did intend for it to go to the list. One for the archives, if nothing else.)

felix winkelmann wrote:

Well, what exactly do you mean with relationship?
Socially, historically, technically... E.g, that Chicken was
bootstrapped via Gambit was one of the things that I was curious about.

I don't know so much about Gambit, but I watched a bit of "the 90 minute
compiler" lecture and it seemed that that 90 minute compiler used
CPS-conversion, which was what I thought Cheney on the MTA was all about.

I guess I'm kind of bothered by the idea that there are so many
"competing" scheme->C compilers.

(A fact which also means that mosts tasks (except call/cc, unless you're
writing CPS C already) will never be "faster than C".)

I initially chose Chicken because of its ease of use, and easy FFI, but
I currently tend to use Chicken even for stuff where e.g. Gauche would
be better, just because it's the Scheme I know best and because I have
an emotional attachment to it; it's so "nice".