Re: [Chicken-users] an ode to Spiffy

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] an ode to Spiffy
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:31:25 -0400

On 5/25/05, Michele Simionato <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think I will write a small tutorial about how to use Spiffy for writing
> simple
> Web interfaces, which is the thing I am interested in, since I want to use
> Scheme to do fast prototyping of Web applications. Scheme is *extremely*
> suitable for this job, it sad that most people don't realize that because of
> Scheme general attitude to discourage users making things harder than
> needed (Chicken is maybe an exception to this general rule, since Felix
> clearly shows some concerns for usability and practicality).

(You meant, "to discourage users *by* making things harder than needed", right?)

Great idea -- such a tutorial would be excellent!

As you suggested earlier, Michele, it would be great to have better
error reports (and decent tracebacks, please!). I'd also love a
remote-REPL facility, to connect to a running spiffy server... A few
tools like this, and spiffy/Chicken could easily become my framework
of choice for Web app prototyping.

Heck -- if we can throw in a consistent DB API, a MySQL egg, a few
handy webapp framework components, and a good tutorial, then you've
got a serious contender in the silent masses' quest for the ideal LAMP
(LAMS?) framework. (Well, maybe, if the silent masses can learn to
digest parentheses.)

> In short  Felix, thank you for your hard work and for your revolutionary
> effort in putting Scheme out of the ivory tower ;)

+1. From my POV, Chicken is the Scheme sweet-spot; thanks Felix for
your tremendous effort.

-- Graham