Re: [Chicken-users] catch read & load errors?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] catch read & load errors?
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:41:25 +0200

On 8/4/05, Michael Benfield <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm pretty new to Scheme in general and Chicken in particular. Both are
> awesome.

Thanks for giving it a try!

> I'm wondering, though, is it possible to catch the errors generated by
> functions like read or load when they encounter bad syntax? I'd like to
> be able to use read to parse things or load to load files from within
> my program, but I can't do that if bad user input will just terminate
> my program. Or is there a different way to do this?

You could simply use exception-handling:

(handle-exception ex (...do something with the exception in "ex" ...)
  (read) )

Or, alternatively `condition-case', see also:

http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/manual/Exceptions.html#Exceptions

Read errors normally raise an exception of tthe kinds 'exn and `syntax.