[Chicken-users] Pinkeye: the beginnings of a Chicken web app development

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: [Chicken-users] Pinkeye: the beginnings of a Chicken web app development stack
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:16:10 -0400

Hi all,

I've been playing with Ruby on Rails recently. There are a lot of good ideas rolled up into a handy package. But...

* It's written in Ruby, aka Smalltalk meets Perl.
* The user community -- don't get me started!
* It's not Scheme.

So I've been working on something called Pinkeye. It depends on the HTTP egg and Meroon. The goal is to develop a rich controller for an MVC-based web app development framework. I'm less interested in the M and V of MVC, because I know there are people already working on such things. The controller is event driven; I believe that good web apps are inherently event driven, so I'm not very interested in a continuation-based framework. (I think they're cool: No disrespect is intended.)

Having gotten all of that out of the way, you can download the egg and the sample code at the following URL:

http://xmog.com/tag/find/Pinkeye

I've implemented an equivalent of Rails's routes feature. It's actually cooler, but I haven't documented the yummy features yet. Here's the example code:

;;; START CODE

(require-extension pinkeye)

(route '("people") '((controller . person) (action . list)))
(route '(controller action) '())
(route '(controller action id) '())

(define-class person Controller ())
(define-generic (do-list (o)))

(define-method (do-list (o person))
  (render o (link-to "Preferred link" (Controller-params o)))
  (render o "</li><li>")
  (render o (link-to "Search Google" "http://google.com/";))

(install-controller-handlers)

((http:make-server 4242) #t)

;;; END CODE

Opinions, patches, scathing insults are all greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ed

--
Transmogrify, LLC * <http://xmog.com/>