Re: [Chicken-users] How to measure time spent in the garbage collector?

From: Sven . Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] How to measure time spent in the garbage collector?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:03:59 +0200 (CEST)

On 19 Aug 2005, felix winkelmann wrote:

> The `time' macro should give you (major) GC times

Thanks to Ed and Felix.
Maybe this aspect of 'time' should be added to the manual :-)

> Well, Chicken is mostly about GC. Minor GC's are *needed' to clean up
> the stack and give the "illusion" of proper tail calls.
> Alternatively: reduce memory load (for example by evicting static data into
> the non-GC'd heap).

I think that I have some large data structures (100-200 MB stored in files)
that need no GC.
They are deeply nested lists or vectors which the program 'read's once
on startup (they are rarely modified).
How can I tell 'read' (or a similar function) to put them on the heap?

Sven