Re: [Chicken-users] mingw_libdir bug

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] mingw_libdir bug
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:03:24 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:

BTW, IMO why not use the free Windows tools?
'Cuz I have the licensed ones.  :-)

The real issue is that Eclipse does not support MSVC. My tentative toolchain is Eclipse 3.1 with the Schemeway plugin http://schemeway.sourceforge.net/ . If I were to go the MSVC route, I'd have to get the Eclipse MSVC plugin working http://cdt-msvc.tigris.org , and it is broken and abandoned. Complicating matters *further* is I may end up doing Alias Maya SDK C++ projects, and that will probably require MSVC. Complicating matters *further still* is my potential business partner says all the high end animation market is on Linux. So there are several routes, all with gruntwork attached to them.

The reason Windows people would want MinGW rather than Cygwin is that the latter sticks you with the GPL anytime you use cygwin1.dll. Which in the real world, with all the deeply stacked open source libraries, is always. You can invoke -mno_cygwin to get rid of it, but then generally speaking the builds break, as noobdy is ever rigorously building anything with -mno_cygwin.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
           '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))