[Chicken-users] alternate build tools

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:17:09 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:

Originally the autotools integration is by Doug Quale, with additions
by various people. I just learned enough to maintain the scripts
(badly). I despise the whole stuff, but admittedly it works quite ok.

If I were to start again, I'd not use it. I think that's the rational way to
proceed.

How do you feel about either a Python or a Java dependency? I've been looking into the problem of targeting multiple C/C++ compilers on multiple platforms. 2 tools look like they may be "industrial strength" solutions to the problem:

scons, a Python script based build system
http://www.scons.org/

Ant with the ant-contrib cc Task
http://ant.apache.org/
http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/