Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:39:29 -0700

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

How do you feel about either a Python or a Java dependency?

[I suggested SCons, a Python thing. Also Ant + ant-contrib CC Task, a Java thing.]

Further digging has yielded an option which, at first glance, looks better than either. CMake. http://www.cmake.org . CMake was borne out of frustration with the GNU Autoconf / Autotools toolchain. It is meant to replace it, and to be truly cross-platform rather than Unix-centric. It would introduce no new language dependencies, people would just need to download a CMake binary or else compile it themselves first. If CMake actually works as advertized, this is a slam dunk. SCons and Ant are good Make replacements, but IIUC, they don't perform automagical system configurations. Whereas, CMake was purpose built to replace autoconf / autotools.

Anyone got CMake experience? "Visualization Toolkit" (VTK) uses CMake, and I did build it on Windows once. VTK is a huge piece of software for scientific visualization. I recall the build being uneventful and problem free, although I'm sure CMake can't take all the credit for that.

BTW I still can't see my own posts, which is a bit annoying. I only see this behavior on this list.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
           '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))