Re: [Chicken-users] Async IO (was Re: libcurl?)

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Async IO (was Re: libcurl?)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:21:55 -0000

Am 04.10.2005, 20:46 Uhr, schrieb Peter Keller <address@hidden>:

[...]
What if the messages that a message passing system used were themselves
continuations? Chicken already compiles to continuation passing style,
so what would it mean to package up the continuation and move it to another
machine for execution? How much state would have to go with it?
[...]

Hello,

CHICKEN does not have any feature that would make continuations serializable; it would mean that you somehow have to transform machine pointers to arbitrary memory locations where your continuations' assembler code lives into stuff that can portably be transferred over a network connection.

If you get this working, I honestly have to congratulate you -- I tried it once (trying to cook up something like Kali Scheme on CHICKEN basis) but failed miserably to come up with any decent, let alone portable or even elegant solution. The day anyone has a really brilliant idea how to solve the problem, I will certainly resume this dead project of mine -- it would be a wonderful toy ;)

cu,
Thomas