[Chicken-users] Chicken/egg version mismatch

From: Peter Bex
Subject: [Chicken-users] Chicken/egg version mismatch
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:11:41 +0200

Hi all,

Today I tried to install Chicken with Spiffy on my new server.
Unfortunately, this did not work because the latest Chicken package
for my operating system is 1.89, and the current version of Spiffy fails
on that version.

In the end I simply packaged Chicken 2.2, so I got it working, but what
bothered me was: what do you do when you need a production box really fast,
and you try to install eggs using an older version of Chicken?
It's not always possible to update the package for your OS.
The easiest thing one would normally do is download an older version of
the egg (in this case, the Spiffy version that worked for Chicken 1.89).

There should be some way to match the version of the egg you're downloading
to the version of Chicken you're using.  In some circumstances you need or
want to be able to download an older version of the egg.  Another solution
would be to offer all previous versions as download for chicken-setup and
the eggs' webpages.

I'm not sure I have a *real* solution to this problem yet.  I suspect this
can get pretty hairy, especially if you consider that in this case you also
need to make sure that eggs tell Chicken what egg-version they need from their
dependencies so chicken-setup will auto-download the correct versions of those.

Also: What happened to update-egg?  I found out that there have been some
changes to Chicken's infrastructure, especially to the highlevel macro
system.  For this, I needed to update an egg of mine, but I couldn't submit
it using update-egg.

Regards,
Peter
--