[Chicken-users] 2.207 tarball doesn't build on MinGW or VC++

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] 2.207 tarball doesn't build on MinGW or VC++
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:47:13 -0800

Felix, thanks for the new tarball. I've tried it out on several permutations of MinGW, VC++, ./configure, and cmake, using clean source trees in all cases. The summary is, neither compiler builds correctly.

I notice that the ChangeLog only goes through Sept. 24th. Perhaps it is not a priority for a tarball. However, if ChangeLogs are generated by a script, then perhaps it is an error, so I mention it.

I notice that README.darcs is not present in the tarball. Is that because it's being revised? If it's to keep people from getting confused, then I think it would be better to include it. For instance, the main reason I need a newer tarball is to bootstrap from darcs.

In my VC++ full retail environment, vcbuild.bat has many type errors in pip.h. This is related somehow to WS2tcpip.h.

In my MinGW environment, ./configure  still does the following odd path:
checking for d:/lang/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.4/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe/libws2_32.a... no As a directory, ld.exe is weird. Previously I've reported this as likely a sed problem, but I didn't provide a patch.
It probably causes problems later in the build.
The build dies in posix.c with many errors; looks like it's not building posixwin.c as it should.

I notice that CMakeLists.txt is not present in the tarball. I've tried adding it from the latest darcs and running cmake as per below.

In my MinGW environment, when I do 'cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"', makefiles are generated without error. However, 'make' dies looking for -llibchicken. It seems the dependency to build libchicken is broken. I can issue 'make chicken_lib', and this looks like it may almost be working, but then it dies. 'nologo' could be some kind of a sed error; maybe it's cmake's fault.
gcc.exe: d:/app/msys/1.0/nologo: No such file or directory
gcc.exe: /implib:libchicken.lib: No such file or directory
gcc.exe: d:/app/msys/1.0/dll: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libchicken_lib.dll] Error 1

In my VC++ retail environment, If I do 'cmake -G "NMake Makefiles"',, makefiles are generated without error. However, 'nmake' dies looking for libchicken.lib. As before, the dependency to build libchicken is broken. I can issue 'make chicken_lib', but this dies with many undefined types in pip.h. It seems to be related to WS2tcpip.h.

I have no solutions at this time. Must go gather signatures; shoulda done so already. Consider all of this a field report and food for thought.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every