Re: [Chicken-users] s11n + rpc

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] s11n + rpc
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:35:16 -0000

Am 11.11.2005, 22:30 Uhr, schrieb Zbigniew <address@hidden>:

I was testing out the RPC egg and noticed it didn't work between a Mac
and a PC.  This stems from endian issues in the s11n egg.  Now, I
don't know if serialization was ever intended to work across
architectures, but I went ahead and made a simple patch [attached] to
the s11n egg.  With this, the RPC egg works fine between OS X on PPC
and Linux on Intel.
[...]

Hello,

I think, this is a fine idea! Serialization is definitely more useful if
it works across architecture boundaries.

But 32<->64 communication is
problematic because you can't tell the word length of serialized data,
and anyway I suspect converting a 64-bit C_word to a 32-bit C_word
might sometimes be lossy.
[...]

Perhaps it would be most portable to serialize everything using 32 bit
words and to convert long fixnums exceeding the 32 bit range into
flonums.

cu,
Thomas