Re: [Chicken-users] s11n + rpc

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] s11n + rpc
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:58:51 +0100

On 11/12/05, Thomas Chust <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 11.11.2005, 22:30 Uhr, schrieb Zbigniew <address@hidden>:
>
> I think, this is a fine idea! Serialization is definitely more useful if
> it works across architecture boundaries.
>
> > But 32<->64 communication is
> > problematic because you can't tell the word length of serialized data,
> > and anyway I suspect converting a 64-bit C_word to a 32-bit C_word
> > might sometimes be lossy.
> > [...]
>
> Perhaps it would be most portable to serialize everything using 32 bit
> words and to convert long fixnums exceeding the 32 bit range into
> flonums.

Usually, the s11n egg was not intended to be platform-independent.
I'm not sure how to proceed, though. Platform-independent serialization
opens up a lot of possibilities - on the other hand the serialization of
procedures is highly dependent of the compiler version and even
optimization options...

Thanks for the patch, Zbigniew, I'll add it. Let's wait with the 64-bit
issue for the moment.