Re: [Chicken-users] sassy and libffi

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] sassy and libffi
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:52:21 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:

Hi!

"sassy", Jonathan Kraut's x86 assembler is available
as an egg now:

http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/sassy.html
I notice it requires libffi.  Anyone know how deeply tied to libffi it is?

As a Windows guy who'd like to get away with MinGW for everything, but probably can't because it's a VC++ world out there, I'm leery of this dependency. I'm also leery of libffi itself as a project. When I read mailing list archives and Google around for info about it, it seems like a project whose authors can't make up their minds about how it's going to be deployed. They don't update their ancient webpage, one version is in the GCC sources, people feel it's a pain to pull out of the GCC sources so they bundle custom tarballs for their own projects (including Chicken), the libffi authors talk about releasing it standalone again... especially on Windows, it all sounds like a recipe for build disasters.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                         - anonymous entrepreneur