Re: [Chicken-users] installation directory not created on MSYS

From: John.Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] installation directory not created on MSYS
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:08:27 -0500

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> I find that when I type "mkdir /usr/local" on the MSYS command line, it
> works.  However, "mkdir /usr/local/bin" does not work.  I deduce that
> "mkdir" is too stupid to create anything more than one directory level
> deep?  Is this generally true of Unix?  And, in this event, shouldn't
> CMake deal with it?  Or is that not Unix culture, i.e. Unixen expect to
> write tedious scripts to do the obvious every time?  I am thinking a
> cross-platform tool should implement a uniform policy.  In any event,
> I'm thinking it should report a failure... although again I'm vaguely
> aware of a Unix "silent failure" culture... which I've heard Pythonistas
> don't care for... and Pythonistas annoy the Perl guys.........

The mkdir command in Unix is a thin wrapper over the mkdir() system call,
and creates only the final directory mentioned in an argument pathname;
all others must exist.  However, the standard -p option will create all
the directories mentioned if they do not exist already.

--
Using RELAX NG compact syntax to        John Cowan
develop schemas is one of the simple    http://www.reutershealth.com