[Chicken-users] Re: [CMake] installation directory not created on MSYS

From: Brad King
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: [CMake] installation directory not created on MSYS
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:52:47 -0500

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
Here's what surprises me. Under the Windows command prompt, C:/Program Files/Chicken is created if it doesn't exist already. But under MSYS, /usr/local/bin is *not* created if it doesn't exist already. Moreover, the failure is silent, no error is given. The install says it's installing, with pathnames echoed and so forth, and it doesn't actually do what it says it's doing. The output:

$ make install
Running cmake script file cmake_install.cmake
-- Installing /usr/local/bin/chicken.exe
-- Installing /usr/local/bin/chicken_profile.exe
-- Installing /usr/local/bin/chicken_setup.exe
-- Installing /usr/local/bin/csc.exe
-- Installing /usr/local/bin/csi.exe

I find that when I type "mkdir /usr/local" on the MSYS command line, it works. However, "mkdir /usr/local/bin" does not work. I deduce that "mkdir" is too stupid to create anything more than one directory level deep? Is this generally true of Unix?

Use "mkdir -p /usr/local/bin" to make all the parent directories as necessary.

> And, in this event, shouldn't CMake deal with it?

Yes, of course, and it should report an error on failure. Please submit a bug report here:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

By the way, I'm glad someone is using CMake in MinGW/MSYS. It hasn't been widely used to my knowledge so I'm not surprised it's a little buggy.

-Brad