Re: [Chicken-users] win32 chicken

From: Matthew David Parker
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] win32 chicken
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:26:48 -0500 (EST)

Well, do you actually want me to give you the arm binaries?  I could try
to clear some space on my web account for them (17MB).

If you want to know how I compiled them, it's not too difficult.

I have a sharp zaurus SL-5500.  Any of the sharp zaurus's better than that
model will work fine, too, and an iPAQ will work too.

First off I installed "OpenZaurus" onto the zaurus.

Then I installed "PocketWorkstation" onto the zaurus, onto my 1GB SD card.
It's a version of Debian for handheld arm processors that runs in a chroot
environment and you connect to it locally with a nice vnc client, and it's
got a large desktop that you can zoom in and out.  Then you have to
"apt-get install" all the packages you want, and it gets them all from the
debian arm branch, which is quite complete.

So I have gcc on there, and I just downloaded chicken and compiled it from
source like I would on any other computer.  I let it compile overnight and
in the morning there was chicken in all it's glory.  It works quite well
but the Zaurus doesn't have floating point hardware so doing floats would
be slow.

Overall the zaurus is pretty nice.  I could pretty much do all my
development on it if I wanted, including running SDL, doing network stuff,
etc.  I can ssh into a linux computer at school and have it forward all
the X11 graphics, so I can run all sorts of things from it.  If anyone is
going to get one, though, make sure you get one of the newer clamshell
shaped ones that have a little 640x480 screen, which is 4 times the size
of my screen (320x240), and they have better hardware keyboards.

Matt