Re: [Chicken-users] Questions on changing Chicken runtime and some other

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Questions on changing Chicken runtime and some other stuff
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:30:02 +0100

On 12/16/05, Thomas Chust <address@hidden> wrote:

> Generally speaking, a replacement of the runtime system should be
> possible, but maybe not desirable. I think that the special stack
> allocation technique employed by CHICKEN will probably integrate badly
> with most other language runtimes and that forcing the CHICKEN runtime on
> top of another system might incur quite a performance loss.

Yes, indeed. On the other hand Cheney-on-the-MTA can be applied
to implement tail-calls and first class continuations on a host language
that doesn't provide them. On a C platform we can integrate GC right
into this model and get very high allocation speed.

But I'm still not sure what Sergey is trying to achieve here: should the
hypothetical chicken we talk about still target C, but use a different runtime-
system (GC, data-representation, ...)?