Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:32:11 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:

Fellow Schemers and Chicken users:

It turns out that I'm not able to cope with maintaining the Windows
build of Chicken any longer. Since I'm working in a Linux-based
company and since I don't have any suitable platform for testing
Windows things myself,

But clearly this is a choice on your part, not some hard-and-fast reality that you're stuck with.

I feel that I can't decently keep up with
the various issues that appear when maintaining a software
project once it has reached that certain state, when build- and
porting issues become more frequent than compiler- and language
development.
Yes, that's the real issue. I imagine all compiler projects go through a problematic phase of this sort.

Windows is a highly suitable platform for Chicken and it would be
a shame if we can't keep the Windows-build in decent shape, just
because the main-implementor is such a lazy bum!

Would someone be willing to help with this? Effectively, this would
mean trying out various build scenarios (mingw32, cygwin, msvc) and
building and providing win32 binaries.

Minimal pay (none), lots of extra work and the outlook of becoming
a major expert in Windows compiler and linker issues guaranteed! :-)

Hello?

Anybody there?

Pleaaaasssseeee......

I am willing to help, like testing builds and so forth, but I do not have the financial resources to take tons of responsibility on this. What little I've done so far has been eating me alive as is. The reality is that I don't have a job, Chicken isn't making me any money, and I do have to put survival as my highest priority right now. I see open source as a business model, not a religion, and the reality is I've been "loss leading" on projects like this for 2 years now. To my financial ruin; my bankruptcy concluded in October. So yes, I'm willing to contribute testing labor ala CMake. If there's more that I can do in that dept., I will do it. But no, I'm not willing to become the primary win32 maintainer, like integrating everyone's patches all day long. I just don't have the time. I suppose I'm saying I can handle 1/2 of the job, the build-and-test portion of it. If you can find another person to deal with code patching, the other 1/2 of the job, that could work.

If my circumstances change in the future I'll reconsider my position. I would like to think that at some point, I'll have learned enough about Chicken through my own processes that dealing with patches and whatnot is no big deal to me. That is not now.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                         - anonymous entrepreneur