Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Win32 maintenance

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Win32 maintenance
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:39:08 +0100

On 1/9/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

> CMake also targets Cygwin, BTW.  And Borland.

Yes, I know. But Borland is currently not supported by Chicken
and Cygwin should run fine with the autotools things.
Since the CMakeLists.txt for Chicken is still incomplete (regarding
the generation of csc.scm from csc.scm.in and chicken-config
from chicken-config.in), the CMake build of Chicken in a standard
(or faked) UNIX environment should be considered non-functional.

> I think we are operating from different premises here.  My premise is,
> the CMake build currently works and is fully functional.  Although, come
> to think of it, maybe chicken-setup is still missing, I don't recall
> offhand.

Yes, but that is an important point: I consider a build fully working if
all aspects (dynamic loading, chicken-setup support) are working.

>  Felix, your premise seems to be that CMake doesn't work, and
> that therefore, 2 people are needed to do 2 different jobs.  My view is
> that only 1 person is needed to do 1 job, with CMake.

CMake *does* work, but the necessary tweaking of the config files
and build-process for a CMake build isn't complete, until we
can make sure everything works. It's the latter whats important to
me. That's what I mean with testing.

> This is leaving aside Watcom.  I think Bob can do the primary support
> for Watcom.  I'm willing to work with him on getting CMake to support
> Watcom, if he's interested in that.

That would be very nice, indeed.

> I was hoping Sergey might have a higher capacity and interest in Windows
> patching and debugging than I do.

That's what I thought, too.