Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed.. Mingw install?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed.. Mingw install?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 04:47:54 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:

On 1/11/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

Which happens, but that's about using the Common Language
Runtime, not generating native code.  I'm a 3D game developer, I want
native code.

Isn't the CLR code JIT-compiled? (just asking).
Yeah, but, like, it's not exciting performance. Nor will it ever be. The C# way is that if you want something fast, you'll write it in native C++, wrap it in Managed C++, and that's how you'll get your performance. The classic two language model. There's no evolutionary pressure for it to be otherwise. Microsoft is driven primarily by accounting software, not anything high performance. It is possible that XBox2 running on a RISC core could change the equation, but I'm not holding my breath. Microsoft has got all these great language research guys that do very little as far as actual products are concerned.

Generally, Microsoft is the software company on this Earth that I'm least excited about. The only reason I'm trying to write games on Windows is lack of a viable alternative. I have my eye on porting Chicken to the Playstation3, when it's actually possible for mere mortals to get a PS3 devkit. That would not be now.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.