Re: svn repo and updates (was Re: [Chicken-users] Re: objc egg v0.4

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: svn repo and updates (was Re: [Chicken-users] Re: objc egg v0.4
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:53:12 +0100

Hi!

> generally I consider it a bad idea to change something without
> incrementing the version number. Of course one could for example agree on
> using at least three level version numbers and only uploading to the web
> when the first or second level changes -- but I don't know whether
> everybody wants to follow such a scheme.
>
> Personally I liked the idea of a web interface where you could review and
> release eggs from the SVN repository to the web best.

The revision control system (SVN in this case) already keeps track of
each change and gives each one a unique number. For those who use SVN,
these numbers are more relevant than the version numbers.

Each upload to the web should have a unique number. For the Adamantix
packages, I use a simple counter. I.e. the first upload is 1, the 2nd 2,
etc. No fancy two or three level numbering scheme, because most of the
time they don't mean anything anyway. If numbers are abitrary anyway,
then why not choose the most convenient arbitrary number?

When you upload the current SVN head to the web-site, you only need to know
what version of the previous upload was.

Groetjes,
Peter.