Re: [Chicken-users] The bazillion unreferenced local variables

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] The bazillion unreferenced local variables
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 08:03:25 +0100

On 2/4/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
> When I compile Chicken with VC++, I get a bazillion warning messages
> about unreferenced local variables.  Is there any way the Chicken
> compiler could not generate so many unreferenced variables, or is this
> fundamental to its operation?  I am hesitant to just mask them with a
> warning filter, for fear of masking a warning that really matters.  As
> it stands, so many warnings is quite noisy and makes the output not very
> useful.  Also it doesn't inspire confidence to those watching the build
> process, i.e. potential Windows Chicken converts.

You're absolutely right, but I see currently no easy way of getting rid
of all those unref'd variables. This is something the C compiler is
supposed to do.
I'm sure there is some #pragma for switching off particular warnings
(we pass "-fno-undefined" to gcc already) for vc++. If you could find
out what pragma we need, I'll add it to chicken.h