Re: [Chicken-users] Windows binary manifest

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Windows binary manifest
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:41:46 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 2/7/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

 I am just wondering if when people make eggs, do they make assumptions
about Chicken directory structure?  I still don't know much about that.  I
just don't want Windows "being different" to trip anybody up or get in
anybody's way.

In fact on Windows it's simpler: you set your CHICKEN_HOME and
CHICKEN_REPOSITORY_PATH, and everything else should just work.
Theoretically...

Erm, from an installation standpoint I don't know that that's simpler.  I've often forgotten to set CHICKEN_HOME, being unsure of its utility.  I didn't even know about CHICKEN_REPOSITORY_PATH and I've RTFMed quite a bit.  I don't know the mechanism for automagically setting a user's environment variables to proper values.  I tend to do it by manual labor.  I suppose as I learn more about installation shennanigans, maybe I'll discover a good method.  My point is, if Chicken always expected a rather uncreative directory structure relative to where Chicken is installed, on all platforms, I think that would be better.

BTW, while we're at it, what do you think about:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Bookmarked.  It could be great for Windows-specific stuff, but that's not a road I want to start down at the moment.  The point of CMake is not just to create a bunch of Windows builds.  The point is eventually to figure out how to do all the builds on all the platforms, including installation.  I'm not sure what installation capabilities CMake has.  It does have some, because install targets are generated for both Unix Makefiles and Visual Studio .NET 2003 files.  You don't get a nice cushy typical Windows install utility, but you do get something that runs in Visual Studio that I guess is supposed to work.  I don't know because currently Chicken is not building with VS.  Some error about "int int" somewhere.  Haven't had time to look at it yet.  Meanwhile, "make install" works fine for MinGW and Cygwin users.  I'd like to find out if there's some way within CMake to create Windows program menu items though.  I'm told that Mac people don't really do installs, they just drag and drop things into folders.  Unixen might vary according to the desktop manager employed.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every