[Chicken-users] Faster read for custom input ports?

From: Reed Sheridan
Subject: [Chicken-users] Faster read for custom input ports?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:21:07 -0600

The C function that my fastcgi library uses to read input has the prototype:

int FCGX_GetStr(char *str, int n, FCGX_Stream *stream);

I have defined a custom input port with make-input-port that uses this, but the read procedure provided by this only reads one byte at a time.  This is too inefficient, so I'm forced to provide a separate read function which breaks the port abstraction, which I'd rather not do (especially since I want code to be portable from any *cgi protocol).  Is there a way to read a port which, at a low level, will call FCGX_GetStr(str,some_large_number,streamp) ?

Reed Sheridan