Re[2]: [Chicken-users] dll import libs for MinGW

From: Sergey Khorev
Subject: Re[2]: [Chicken-users] dll import libs for MinGW
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:45:48 +0300

BJV> dll generation or linkage features.  This is by design.  If you want
BJV> import libraries, you're supposed to have __declspec(dllexport) in your
BJV> code like a good little Windows programmer.  I think what I'm saying is,

You use __declspec(dllexport) if you just want to export symbols :)

BJV> Is there any reason to suppress __declspec(dllexport) in a Cygwin or
BJV> MinGW Autoconf build?  If it doesn't hurt anything then they should just
BJV> all do it the same way.

I am 90% sure they are harmless.

BJV> > BTW why do you need import libraries? ld in both MinGW and Cygwin can
link to dlls directly with the -l swith (e.g. -lchicken will try bind to
libchicken.dll along with some other filenames)

BJV> I do not assume that just because Chicken is built with MinGW that it is
BJV> going to be used with MinGW.  IIUC MinGW and MSVC code are often
BJV> intermixed.  That is, if I grab a library from somewhere I shouldn't
BJV> have to care whether MinGW or MSVC built it.

I don't think MinGW-built Chicken dlls can be used from MSVC right away. At
least it was so last time I tried it (with something like Chicken-1.66). The
obvious reason is the different struct members alignment. Probably there are
some other hoops to jump through.
Although it's possible to solve, e.g., MzScheme did that.
Plus one more item to my Chicken-on-win32 TODO list after I finally get Watcom
working :-\