Re: [Chicken-users] 3D games in Chicken

From: Matthew David Parker
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] 3D games in Chicken
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:13:37 -0500 (EST)

Yeah, I hate that Xpilot is GPL'd, though it was the reason we switched to
chicken from Petite Chez scheme.  It's ok for us because we plan to offer
the software for free and then sell books or modules for xpilot-ai that
help a professor teach a particular topic.

The multiplayer aspect of Xpilot has actually been essential for our AI
stuff.  We have for one of our projects about 130 xpilot clients connected
to one server, each client has it's own chromosome, and they fight it out
on the server, swapping genes as they kill one another, evolving to get
better in that way.  Also, we can take our AI client out on a real life
server to play against real players, and maybe one day learn against them.
It just makes it much more versatile for what you can do.

Your RTS game is a good idea though, and would be much easier than a 3d
Xpilot.  Though it seems like just making a simple little space game in
chicken would be a good test of chickens abilities.  All you'd really have
to do is get it to load up the little cave map and have some real physics
to make the ship fly around.  I mean, I don't think anyone should plan on
making a whole xpilot 3d game, but just seeing if chicken can do the 3d
engine would be good, and then you could use that base to make other sorts
of games.

Matt