Re: [Chicken-users] objc/cocoa and deploying

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] objc/cocoa and deploying
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:47:31 +0100

On 3/15/06, Ben Matasar <address@hidden> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm thrilled by the objc egg overall, it's a great piece of software.
> I  dohave some questions about how I would deploy my app to people who
> don't have the chicken libraries.  I tried csc -static and was
> rewarded with an application that didn't even launch on my system,
> much less a system without libchicken.
>
> I also tried placing the libchicken dynamic library on the other
> system and symlinking it to libchicken.0.dylib.  Also no dice.

Sorry, I can't verify this right now (I don't have access to a Mac in
the moment), but the basic steps are these:

1) compile all the objc files (scheme-object.m, objc-class-proxies-bin.scm.
  objc-class-proxies.scm, cocoa.scm, objc-support.scm) with
  "-c -unit UNITNAME" (you can use the filename as the unit name, with the
  exception of scheme-object.m, of course)
2) Compile your application normally and perform the link step by
  hand, passing "/usr/lib/libchicken.a /usr/lib/libffi.a" (or whereever you
  have installed the stuff) on the command line, you'll also need
  "-framework Foundation -framework Cocoa"
3) If you run "otool -L" on the executable, only system libraries should
   be listed.

I will extend objc.setup to build and install a static library with all the
necessary stuff, and perhaps provide a build-script for linking
deployment targets once I find some time at home.
Sorry for the delay.