Re: [Chicken-users] Compiler or interpreter?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Compiler or interpreter?
Date: 27 Mar 2006 22:24:04 -0300

Hello John,

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:14:15 -0500 John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there a procedure that can be invoked to tell a program whether it is
> running in the interpreter or as compiled code?

I don't know if there is a specific procedure which does that, but a
plain quick&dirty&innacurate way could be:

(define interpreted
  (let ((executable-filename (pathname-file (car (argv)))))
    (lambda ()
      (member executable-filename '("csi" "csi-static")))))

Awful and gives wrong answers if you generate a compiled program named
"csi" or "csi-static" (or if you rename the interpreter to something
different from "csi" and "csi-static").  Don't use it. :-)

Best wishes,
Mario