Re: [Chicken-users] Re: https

From: Daishi Kato
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: https
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:16:01 +0900

At Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:27:43 +0000 (GMT),
Thomas Chust wrote:
> This works on my machine and looks fine as far as the use of the openssl
> egg is concerned. I would like to remark, though, that it may be useful if
> one could somehow specify the second optional parameter to ssl-connect to
> enable SSL protocol version selection and certificate management -- maybe
> one could hack an additional field into the http:request structure.

You are absolutely right.
In fact, I was wondering how to specify CA certificates.
Here is a new patch.

> I think it should be possible to just create a version of http:GET with
> three optional arguments, one boolean flag indicating a persistent
> connection is desired and the input and output port for the connection.
> One would then omit the "Connection: close" header from the request adding
> a "Connection: keep-alive" instead if the boolean flag was set and in
> addition to the data retrieved in response to the request one would return
> the input and output ports for the persistent connection as well.

This is still different from what I desire.
I was thinking something like a global pool of connections
for each host:port, and a client program does not need to
keep track of input and output ports.
It can even seamlessly re-connect, once the old connection is closed.
This is the approach that Java takes, I guess.

Daishi