Re: [Chicken-users] Adding a free slot to Chicken symbols

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Adding a free slot to Chicken symbols
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:19:55 -0400

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> Adding an extra slot to symbols would be pretty handy, and would make
> it easy to implement different Lisps in chicken, but I wonder how much code
> depends on C_SIZEOF_SYMBOL being 3....
>
> Anyway, give the patch a try, please.

At the risk of sounding like an ingrate, I don't want to try this, as
setting up darcs on my system looks to be more trouble than it's worth.
(I hope someone else will try it, though, who already has the current
HEAD available: applying classic diffs to anything but the version they
were made from is just too dangerous).

I was exploring an alternative mechanism using a global hash table, but I
need the hash table to handle uninterned symbols (which are potentially
garbage collected) properly, and -- contrary to the documentation --
a symbol cannot be wrapped in a (strong or weak) locative.  Can this
be fixed?  Presumably the change to Chicken would be much less drastic.

--
Andrew Watt on Microsoft:                       John Cowan
Never in the field of human computing           address@hidden