Re: [Chicken-users] alpha or ia64 testers around?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] alpha or ia64 testers around?
Date: 15 Apr 2006 02:25:01 -0300

Hello,

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:14:40 +0200 "felix winkelmann" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there someone with access to an alpha or ia64 machine who
> would be willing to test the current chicken on one or both of
> these systems? The debian maintainer reports problems and
> I'm not able to dig into this problem, since I have a rather small
> selection of target platforms that I can test.
>
> Any help (even if it's just building it once) appreciated.

I could get an alpha machine to test Chicken (thanks to UFPel
people -- Federal University of Pelotas -- http://www.ufpel.edu.br)

I could build Chicken 2.3 and darcs head.  I've also installed a
couple of eggs (listed below).  Apparently, it's working ok.

Perhaps the Debian mantainer (Davide Puricelli?) can provided more
details about the problem he's facing.  The machine I'm using has
Debian GNU/Linux as OS.  I had to manually update the autothings
(autoconf, automake) and libtool packages, since Debian 3.0 doesn't
have the required versions.  I also had some problems with the
processing of chicken.texi (the error message is shown at the end of
this mail) -- in this case I just cheated by forcing a valid small
file so the texi tools wouldn't complain during the build process.

###
### Eggs installed
###

$ chicken-setup -l
box                                                  Version: 1.2 (Release
20060206)
chicken-dump
chicken-man
doctype                                                           (Release
20060125)
eggdoc                                                            (Release
20060125)
format                                             Version: 3.1.1 (Release
200601282115)
hashes                                               Version: 1.7 (Release
200602201707)
http                                                Version: 1.41 (Release
200604100510)
locale                                               Version: 0.1 (Release
200602241813)
man                                                  Version: 2.2 (Release
200602010746)
md5
message-digest                                       Version: 1.3 (Release
200602220308)
prometheus                                           Version: 1.0 (Release
20060125)
regex-case                                                        (Release
20060125)
s11n                                                 Version: 0.3 (Release
200603090654)
spiffy                                               Version: 2.1 (Release
200604110703)
spiffy-utils
srfi-40                                                           (Release
20060125)
stream-ext
stream-parser                                                     (Release
20060125)
sxml-to-sxml                                         Version: 1.0
sxml-transforms                                      Version: 1.1 (Release
200601282115)
syntax-case                                        Version: 6.994 (Release
200604121854)
vector-lib

###
### Details of the system
###

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV45
cpu variation           : 7
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       :
system type             : Mikasa
system variation        : 0
system revision         : 0
system serial number    :
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 233100233
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 34
max. addr. space #      : 63
BogoMIPS                : 230.16
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string         : AlphaServer 1000 4/233
cpus detected           : 1

$ cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  127811584 109625344 18186240 10166272 43745280 47538176
Swap: 200130560  4677632 195452928
MemTotal:    124816 kB
MemFree:      17760 kB
MemShared:     9928 kB
Buffers:      42720 kB
Cached:       46424 kB
SwapTotal:   195440 kB
SwapFree:    190872 kB

$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.0

$ uname -a
Linux nodo4 2.2.20 #2 Wed Mar 20 19:57:28 EST 2002 alpha unknown

$ gcc --version
2.95.4

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>.

$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)

###
### Error when processing chicken.texi (from darcs head)
###

$ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mario/chicken'
restore=: && backupdir=".am$$" && \
am__cwd=`pwd` && cd . && \
rm -rf $backupdir && mkdir $backupdir && \
for f in chicken.info chicken.info-[0-9] chicken.info-[0-9][0-9] chicken.i[0-9]
chicken.i[0-9][0-9]; do \
  if test -f $f; then mv $f $backupdir; restore=mv; elseL'.
chicken.texi:2021: warning: Info cannot handle `:' in index entry `:optional'.
chicken.texi:9545: warning: Info cannot handle `:' in index entry
`constructor:'.
chicken.texi:9553: warning: Info cannot handle `:' in index entry `destructor:'.
chicken.texi:9562: warning: Info cannot handle `:' in index entry `rename:'.
makeinfo: Removing output file `chicken.info' due to errors; use --force to
preserve.
make[1]: *** [chicken.info] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mario/chicken'
make: *** [all] Error 2

$ makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.1

There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

Best wishes,
Mario