Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: Reed Sheridan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:29:57 -0500

From: Peter Bex <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:05:22PM +0200, Peter Busser wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Ajax egg.  And some session support, but we can do
> > that easily, and even _better_ with continuations.  See
> > (http://radio.weblogs.com/0102385/2004/04/03.html#a568) for some tasty
> > stuff.  This could ideally be integrated in Spiffy.
>
> IMHO it would be better to make it easy to integrate, but seperate from
> Spiffy. There are people who do not want to or who cannot use Spiffy.
> They would not benefit from such a framework.
>
> For instance, in many companies, it is mandatory to use something like
> Apache. It would be useful if this framework would work with the SCGI egg,
> so it can be integrated with Apache through the mod-scgi module for Apache.

I agree fully.  This is the approach Rails takes too: It allows you to
choose from CGI or FCGI with an arbitrary webserver or Ruby Webrick for
quick 'n dirty testing.  (Webrick isn't as scalable as "big" webservers
like Apache or Lighttpd and I imagine Spiffy is not much better)

I've written something (or rather, mutated Gauche's CGI module into something) that allows you to choose CGI or FCGI (and soon, SCGI).

http://simonio.us/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi?r=public;a=tree;f=/gateway-interface

I suppose that it could support Spiffy too.  But you might have to give up some of the advantages that Spiffy gives you.  I haven't really used Spiffy enough to understand the issues at hand.

I don't consider it quite release-worthy yet, but I hope to rectify that in the next week or two.

Reed Sheridan