Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:35:25 -0700

Pupeno wrote:
On Monday, 24 de April de 2006 22:12, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

A side project is how to get rid of the parentheses so that ordinary
people can tolerate writing Scheme.

Getting rid of parenthesis is dangerous, people may forget that while writting
Scheme programs you are doing it as Scheme data and that programs are no more
than a tree (build up with cons... lists if you like).
I believe the best thing is to teach the language, not to bend it to fits
someone's mind. That kind be done by making conferences in Linux and
Linux-like events.

Also, the market doesn't need it.  If you want decent programming languages without parentheses for web development, you can use Python or Ruby.  Dumbing down Scheme is like parenthesizing-up Python.  Almost nobody needs it.

- It is used in artificial intelligence)

And as I explain the last point I let a label "BULLSHIT" stamp over those
reasons. That really wakes up the public. And it also puts things where they
belong.
Especially for game development, I see almost no evidence of anyone using Lisp or Scheme for game AI.  Of course it's usually not real AI.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every