Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:13:21 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 25.04.2006, 15:16 -0400 schrieb John Cowan:
> > As for Chicken, is there a VM?  I'm guessing not, because for speed
> > you just use the compiler, and therefore not a lot of emphasis would
> > be placed on making the interpreter the fastest.
>
> No, Chicken does not have a VM.

If chicken has no VM, at least we two have fundamentally different
assumption how a VM is defined.

The VM of chicken is just neither a single data structure, nor (the even
worse definition) an executable interpreting some byte sequence.  It's a
calling convention, threads data structure and a few global variables.

> > IMO somebody needs to write a better editor for S-expressions.  Good
> > XML editors are also nontrivial.
>
> "Good" XML editors are impossible, because they have to serve mutually
> contradictory goals.  The only hope is to have a variety of adequate
> editors with different purposes.

Too true.  There are probably few things under the sun, which qualify
for GUI-Tool and not for editor.  As soon as you bind them to their data
format, they become bitmap-editors, xml-editors, ini-editors, etc.
adding converters, what's the point of an XML-editor vs. S-expression
editor?

/Jörg