Re: [Chicken-users] Re: photo album in chicken

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: photo album in chicken
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 07:59:15 +0200

Hi!

> First, vi/vim is available in most Linux (I use gentoo on my server)
> and Mac OSX (my personal laptop). It doesn't require additional
> installation. I have installed it with cygwin on my work machine.

Vim can auto-indent Scheme code. It can automatically detect the file
type through the extension. Or you can set it manually:

:se filetype=scheme
:se ai
(ai = short for autoindent)

> Second reason, most of the people I know use vi and hence I keep
> learning new things. I did give emacs a try but I didn't really find
> myself very productive in it. I guess I haven't really seen some one
> use emacs regularly to understand it.

Same here.

> Imlib:destroy:
> I think auto-destroy of garbage images would be really nice. When
> working in scheme you definitely forget managing resources. May be if
> it were C I would think of imlib:destroy but with scheme it never
> occured to me that I might need to do that. I just thought it would be
> marked as garbage and collected when the image was out of scope.

Is it possible to call a C function when data is destroyed during
garbage collection? In that case, one could create a Scheme type which
encapsulates the pointer to the Imlib data. When an object of that type
is destroyed, the hook can be called, which in turn frees the C data.

Groetjes,
Peter.