[Chicken-users] Re: vctk-install: free Windows tools have changed

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: vctk-install: free Windows tools have changed
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 15:54:20 -0400

On 5/9/06, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi folks,

It looks like the free VC++ compiler toolchain from Windows has
changed since the last version of the vctk-install instructions.
Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 has been supplanted by Visual C++
2005 Express Edition; and the dot-Net framework is now in 2.0.

I figured out that the software specified in vctk-install (except for
the Toolkit 2003 compiler) is still available; you just have to dig
for them a bit. The links in vctk-install are misleading, since they
point to the new Express compiler. (A Web search was required to turn
up the 1.1 versions.)

I never got the new Express compiler to work; but the MS Visual Studio
.NET 2003 compiler seems to handle the job. For the record, here are
the environment variables that worked for me (Windows XP, x86), in
case it helps anyone else:

set VC=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7
set IDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE
set SDK=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK
set DOTNET=C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
set CHICKEN=.

set INCLUDE=%SDK%\Include;%VC%\include;%CHICKEN%
set LIB=%SDK%\Lib;%VC%\lib;%CHICKEN%
set PATH=%CHICKEN%;%SDK%\Bin;%SDK%\Bin\WinNT;
%VC%\bin;%IDE%;%DOTNET%

Graham