Re: [Chicken-users] bogus Makefile.am dependencies?

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] bogus Makefile.am dependencies?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:40:53 -0700

On May 10, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

I am reading Chicken's Makefile.am, trying to translate it to CMake. Currently I'm working on .scm --> .c file generation for the build. I see a lot of entries like:

ueval.c: eval.scm parameters.scm
$(CHICKEN) eval.scm $(CHICKEN_UFLAGS) -output-file ueval.c - explicit-use

Why are files like parameters.scm being given as dependencies when they are not actually used in the associated build commands? Makefile.am is full of this. Even if the implicit %.c: %.scm build rule would generate parameters.c, I don't see that that's being used either. Are these bogus dependencies, or poorly specified implicit dependencies? Like ueval.c will die if parameters.c doesn't exist? But that should only matter at link, not during object compile. Anyways, please let me know what's going on so I can get on with the CMake translation.

parameters.scm is 'included' by eval.scm, etc.

Best Wishes,
Kon

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every