[Chicken-users] CMake now compiles from Darcs

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] CMake now compiles from Darcs
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:44:07 -0700

CMake CMakeLists.txt will now build Chicken from Darcs .scm sources, if you already have a Chicken compiler installed. It detects any Chicken installation, tests whether it's a high enough version number, does all configurations, compiles .scm to .c, and then .c to chicken.exe and company. It can also be installed with "make install." I've installed the results, and verified that I get the Chicken banner when I type "chicken." I haven't done any more extensive testing than that.

My test platform is MinGW / MSYS file generation. I doubt it's going to "work clean" on other platforms yet, but there's a good possibility the support is 90% done for other platform needs. If you try it, expect a headache or two, but it's probably easily remedied. I'll be happy to work with you to incorporate any changes.

I have not yet implemented a full bootstrap. This would encompass (1) getting the compiler to recompile itself (2) generating a .c archive that can be used on platforms that don't already have chicken.exe. At this point these problems should be straightforward, however. Knock on wood! I'll get to them in coming weeks but at present, I have to go turn the signature gathering money pump on full blast again. Actually I lost a lot of money this weekend working on this stuff, but I was determined to kick this milestone out the door. That and I got caught flat-footed, a new measure came out and I had no prior warning. Wasn't gonna drop what I was doing.

I'm not yet generating documentation. I need to learn how to use CMake's Makeinfo detector. This won't be hard.

I believe it can all be built with CMake 2.4.1 beta, available at http://cmake.org/HTML/Download.html . However, my actual CMake is the 2.5 development version. It contains some LIST commands which I'm not sure are present or identical in 2.4.1. If you try 2.4.1 and it goes bzzzt, let me know and I'll change CMakeLists.txt accordingly.

I have not updated the "How To Build Chicken Using CMake" instructions to reflect the current state. I won't be doing that until I reach a stable state. The drill should be simple enough: set up local Chicken Darcs repository, then run CMake 2.4.1 on it. Darcs has its own minor learning curve, feel free to ask questions.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every