Re: [Chicken-users] imlib2 egg without X

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] imlib2 egg without X
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:20:42 +0200

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 06:51:42AM +0100, Ashish Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not a C programmer so need a little help installing the imlib2
> egg on a system without X. I have installed imlib2 without X
> installed. However, imlib2 egg relies on X. Can it be installed
> without X? If so what do I need to do? Again, I already have imlib2
> installed without X.

From http://enlightenment.org/Libraries/Imlib2/ :
``Imlib 2 can run without a display, so it can be easily used for background
image processing for web sites or servers - it only requires the X libraries
to be installed - that is all - it does not require an XServer to run unless
you wish to display images.''

I wonder how you managed to install imlib2 without X in the first place.
Is this information outdated?

Assuming for the moment it is possible, I'm not sure how we can support the
features of an X-enabled imlib2 conditionally.  (I don't want to cripple
the imlib2 egg so that people can use it without X but those who use X can't
make full use of it)  I don't think chicken-setup has a way to provide
options to the egg.  Felix?

Regards,
Peter
--