[Chicken-users] is case-lambda expensive?

From: Matthew David Parker
Subject: [Chicken-users] is case-lambda expensive?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:25:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi I've got functions for my SDL layer that I want to put like this:

(define msdl.pixel
        (case-lambda
                (() (printf "(msdl.pixel x y rgb alpha [img])\n"))
                ((x y rgb alpha)
                        (R_msdl.pixel (int x) (int y) (int rgb) (int alpha) 0))
                ((x y rgb alpha img)
                        (R_msdl.pixel (int x) (int y) (int rgb) (int alpha)
img))))

This way the user can type in:
> (msdl.pixel)
(msdl.pixel x y rgb alpha [img])

so that it's easy to see how to use the command.  However, if there is
some program where the user wants to draw 1000 pixels quickly, will the
case-lambda make it significantly slower?

Thanks,
Matt

(btw, "msdl" is just a temporary name, as there is already an "msdl" for
SDL)