[Chicken-users] Re: Documentation

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Documentation
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 03:57:49 -0700

Dan wrote:
Just a small observation -- the propensity for long,
complicated URL's isn't a win. Typing the full
www.call/cc.org is a pain;
Why isn't your browser auto-completing what you type?
 No, local bookmarks
don't cut it -- there's already too many of them.
Why aren't your local bookmarks more organized? The set of bookmarks that I use over and over and over again is very small. The Chicken website is one of them. Those I keep at the toplevel for easy access. Others, I have a large hierarchy, everything in its place. When I don't use something for awhile, I dump it down deeper into the hierarchy. I'd be more sympathetic to your issue if you weren't a programmer....

Maybe it's just me, but I'd love shorter, memorable
URL's.

I do too, but the value isn't in personal use. It's in chalkboards, overhead projectors, and casual conversations, when you're trying to get something to stick in a crowd's mind. Actually "call-with-current-continuation.org" is rather easy for a Functional Programmer to remember... but most people don't know what FP is.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every