[Chicken-users] makefile.vc is not NMAKE

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] makefile.vc is not NMAKE
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:11:47 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 6/8/06, Frank <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm not sure whether this helps you, but the new 2.315 just builds fine
w/ the VC 2003 toolkit when using makefile.vc and win-install.bat.

Does the VC2003 toolkit have nmake? If yes, we can just throw
away vcbuild.bat, as it has another bug (reported by Markus Hülsmann).

makefile.vc is not a NMAKE file. It's a Unix makefile. VC++ users would be required to have a working 'make' to build from sources. Slightly perverse, especially to someone lacking a Unix mindset, but not a dealbreaker 'make' is available for Windows, but some of the versions floating around are bugged. There is no canonical way to get a 'make' for Windows, there are like 4 different "GNU on Windows" efforts that a Google search will turn up. Not to mention Cygwin and MSYS. MSYS has 2 different makes!

I don't think the free toolkits have NMAKE in any event. I think you have to get it from the Platform SDK. Plus you'd have to write a NMAKE file.

Distributing a Windows binary gets around these problems for end-users.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every