[Chicken-users] buildbot for chicken?

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: [Chicken-users] buildbot for chicken?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:02:51 -0400

Here's a rainy-day question (it's raining where I am, anyway): if the
Chicken project had a buildbot, would it make life easier for the
community?

http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/ -- "The BuildBot is a system to
automate the compile/test cycle required by most software projects to
validate code changes. By automatically rebuilding and testing the
tree each time something has changed, build problems are pinpointed
quickly, before other developers are inconvenienced by the failure.
The guilty developer can be identified and harassed without human
intervention. By running the builds on a variety of platforms,
developers who do not have the facilities to test their changes
everywhere before checkin will at least know shortly afterwards
whether they have broken the build or not. Warning counts, lint
checks, image size, compile time, and other build parameters can be
tracked over time, are more visible, and are therefore easier to
improve."

It might take some setting up, and would also require a number of
volunteers to spare cycles on their machines (on a variety of
hardware/OS configurations). But I'm sure it would be nice for the
core developer(s) to know that changeset X doesn't break anything on
platform Y, which they don't themselves run.

Just curious if anyone was thinking about this kind of thing; not
volunteering to set one up (I'm already behind on my current
commitment to the wiki-documentation project...) ;-)

Graham