Re: [Chicken-users] Scheme testing suite

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Scheme testing suite
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:19:27 -0700

Kon Lovett wrote:
On Jul 4, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 7/3/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Is anyone aware of a testing suite for any Scheme implementation that's
under a MIT or BSD license and could be lifted for Chicken?  It would
aid the testing of builds.

Additionally, there is Jaffer's r4rstest (it's in the "tests" directory in the
chicken darcs repository).

srfi-64 seems to be the correct building block for testing suites.
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
Of course this is only mechanism, not an actual test suite.

Uhh, thanks (not) for the implied "dis" of "test-infrastructure". (Actually SRFI-64 is pretty good. I'm just PO'ed after all the work I put into "T-I" & nobody uses it but me.)

Since I don't even know what test-infrastructure is, and Googling on the subject of "Scheme testing" immediately yielded SRFI-64, I think you have a burden of advertizement to fulfill before assuming a "dis." Actually I just posted on comp.lang.scheme to find out if anyone is actually using SRFI-64. It certainly wasn't obvious to me after Googling about that anyone cares about it. The concept is correct though: a standard way to perform unit tests in Scheme. Per Bothner's point is that Scheme needs contractual / legal proof of compliance for things like government contracts. Without standard test suites there is no possibility of such compliance.

Now I'm Googling on test-infrastructure.scm to see what that's about. The first hits that come up are about Chicken 1.63. Probing with slightly more patience, I see that it's an Egg requiring Chicken 2.225+. Now what I want is an actual Scheme testing suite, not merely a mechanism for building such a suite. I bet you're going to tell me that nobody's done that sort of thing with test-infrastructure.scm.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every