Re: [Chicken-users] Darcs-head Chicken broken on Cygwin

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Darcs-head Chicken broken on Cygwin
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:45:56 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Okay.  Progress.  I have now built the Darcs head (unchanged
since last night my time) using CMake.  I then hard-linked
/usr/local/bin/libchicken.dll to /usr/local/bin/cygchicken.dll.
All is well; (use srfi-1) works perfectly.

Felix:  However, this does not account for the continuing misbehavior
of the autoconf toolchain, though it may provide a useful clue.
My previous messages continue to apply.

I will again agitate for merciless termination of cygchicken.

Brandon:  "ccmake /opt/chicken" from a different directory still
generates and builds into /opt/chicken; the other directory remains empty.
The same is true for "cmake /opt/chicken".

This is a CMake FAQ item.
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

I run an out-of-source build but CMake generates in-source anyway. Why?

This means that there is a CMakeCache.txt file in the source tree, possibly as part of an existing in-source build. If CMake is given the path to a directory with a CMakeCache.txt file, it assumes the directory is a build tree. Therefore if one runs "cmake ../mysrc" to build out-of-source but there is a mysrc/CMakeCache.txt file then cmake will treat mysrc as the build tree.

This is a side-effect of the feature that allows "cmake ." to be used to regenerate a build tree. The behavior will not be changed because mixing in-source and out-of-source builds is not safe anyway (configured headers may be found in the wrong place).
[edit]

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every