Re: [Chicken-users] Nursery sizing considered stupid

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Nursery sizing considered stupid
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:42:03 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 7/21/06, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

My proposal is the same as it was in my original message, and is simple.
Forget the variable-size nursery altogether and go with 128K, period.
Make this tweakable in the configuration file, and for anything else,
people can use -:s.  You're already halfway there.

John:

cd to benchmarks, compile one (say "csc -Ob dynamic"), run it with
nursery settings -:s32k, -:s300k and the default, multiple times.
Then tell me the nursery size doesn't make a difference. It does, at least
on Linux machines.

Rigor requires that you each specify your test machines. "It makes a difference on Linux" is just as meaningless in the abstract as "it makes no difference, go with 128K." I'm prepared to believe that the nursery size *can* make a difference on some machine, with some OS, and some compiler, with some optimization settings. I do not, at present, believe that nsample is a rigorous or particularly reproducible test. The explosion of variables that can go into a rigorous test, is why I'd like to offload this problem to someone who thinks it's more kewl. I'm going to worry about performance benchmarking *after* I've got 3D shapes spinning around.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every