Re: [Chicken-users] Nursery sizing considered stupid

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Nursery sizing considered stupid
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 02:47:01 -0700

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

A user has no reason to expect that the build is going to be sensitive to the machine load at the time of the build. [...]

I think for this reason, nsample must not be part of the standard build procedure. [...] Since the absence of such a policy leads to insanity, I will be implementing it in the CMake build shortly. That is how it will remain unless someone is more clever than I am.

Policy effected, tested, and pushed to Darcs.

The only clever way I can think of to reverse the policy, is to build up a public database of benchmark submissions for various target configurations. Then the defaults could be target specific. It would still be a matter of selecting defaults. A naive user cannot be trusted to run stack-size.cmake.

Target specific results would require architectural canonization. Yeah, ./configure does that. Not sure about CMake.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every