Re: [Chicken-users] csc.scm.in unescaped whitespace in pathnames

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] csc.scm.in unescaped whitespace in pathnames
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:54:06 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> Ok, I think with my most current push to Darcs, I've taken care of
> everything that's wrong with the CMake build.  If you do a CMake build
> under MinGW, I think you will see sane output for csc.scm.  Now I think
> it's down to csc.scm.in not properly handling unescaped whitespace in
> pathnames.  I see 2 general ways to deal with the problem:
>
> - put double quotes in somewhere
> - escape the whitespace

There are two issues:  shell code and C code.  To the shell, escaping
and quoting are pretty much the same.  To C, however, they are utterly
different.  Escaping spaces does nothing except provoke an error, and
strings must be double-quoted, that being part of C's syntax.  For both
shell and C, backslashes must be escaped.

I hope this helps.
--
John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan  address@hidden
Arise, you prisoners of Windows / Arise, you slaves of Redmond, Wash,