Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken on x86_64 system: all well

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken on x86_64 system: all well
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:18:06 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

With CMake can you do:

;;; in a file called x.scm:
(print 123)

csc -s x.scm
csi -nbq x                   (should load x.[so|dll])

- Extension test:

rm x.so       / del x.dll
chicken-setup x         ; the file above
csi -R x

Yes, that passes, modulo two annoyances:

1) LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to have /usr/local/lib on it;

I'm unfamiliar with LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues, being a Windows guy.  The CMake 2.4.2 documentation doesn't even mention it.  It does talk about RPATH, and there have been lotsa posts on the CMake list lately about RPATH.  Someone else will have to chase this one down, as unless Cygwin imitates this stuff, I have no way of testing it and I don't really want to learn it anyways.  The CMake mailing list archives may be useful.  It has no inherent archive search, but you can do a Google search on site:http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/

2) chicken-setup needs to be run by root.

What permissions should it have?  The CMake documentation does talk about permissions for the INSTALL function.  "PERMISSIONS arguments specify permissions for installed files. Valid permissions are OWNER_READ, OWNER_WRITE, OWNER_EXECUTE, GROUP_READ, GROUP_WRITE, GROUP_EXECUTE, WORLD_READ, WORLD_WRITE, WORLD_EXECUTE, SETUID, and SETGID. Permissions that do not make sense on certain platforms are ignored on those platforms."

Does anything other than chicken-setup need particular permissions?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every